Imbibe on seasonal holiday cocktails at Lloyd’s Chicago
Holiday Cocktails at Lloyd’s
The holiday season brings out all kinds of spirits. This time of year is full of distinct aromas. Flavors range from tried and true pumpkin to warm and spicy peppermint and even classics like cinnamon, apple, and cranberry. Be it a foaming flavorful beer or a cocktail concoction, our bartenders at Lloyd’s, in the Financial District of Chicago, utilize these distinct flavors in a variety of holiday drinks.
So what’s your favorite holiday flavor? Here are a few suggestions on how to enjoy your favorite seasonal flavor this year. Add your own unique twist to these recipes.
Pumpkin pie smoothie
Prep time: 10 minutes
• 1 15-ounce can pumpkin (chilled)
• 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk (chilled)
• 8 ounces vanilla yogurt
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
• Whipped cream, to taste (optional)
1. Combine pumpkin, milk, yogurt, sugar and spice in a blender; cover.
2. Blend until mixture is smooth.
3. Pour into glasses; top with whipped cream (if desired) and an additional sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice. Serves four.
Adult hot chocolate
1 1/2 oz peppermint schnapps
Chocolate shavings (optional)
Holiday milk punch
Prep time: 5 minutes; “Cook” time: 4-8 hours (for chilling)
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup dark rum
• 1/2 cup brandy
• 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
• 1/2 gallon whole milk
• Grated nutmeg
1. Combine rum, brandy and vanilla extract in a large, heavy pitcher and dissolve sugar in the mixture.
2. Add milk; freeze until very cold or even slushy (4-8 hours).
3. Pour into glasses and grate nutmeg and cinnamon (or sprinkle ground nutmeg and cinnamon) on top, if desired. Serves eight.
Spiked apple pie punch
This party beverage works well both hot and cold. With one 750-milliliter bottle of grain alcohol, you can serve about 36 people and get them all feeling seasonal with the apple and cinnamon flavors.
Prep time: 5 minutes, Cook time: 30 minutes
• 1 gallon apple juice
• 1 gallon apple cider
• 3 cups white sugar
• 8 cinnamon sticks
• 1 bottle 190 proof grain alcohol (750 ml)
1. In a large pot, combine juice, cidar, sugar and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely.
2. When cool, stir in grain alcohol.
3. Transfer to large serving dish and let guests ladle into cups. Garnish with additional cinnamon sticks or apple slices, if desired.
Prep time: 5 minutes; serves 2
• 1 shot (1.5 ounces) vodka
• 1/2 fluid ounce orange liqueur
• 1/2 fluid ounce dry vermouth
• 2 shots (3 ounces) cranberry juice
• 1 cups ice
• Cranberries (optional)
1. Combine vodka, orange liqueur, vermouth, cranberry juice and ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously to chill.
2. Pour into martini glasses and serve. Garnish with a few cranberries, if desired.
These seasonal sensations brighten up any meal. Join us at Lloyd’s, across the street from the Lyric Opera House, for some holiday flavors. Tuesdays we offer 1/2 off appetizers after 3pm, $5 Lloyd’s cosmos, and $2 craft beer specials. Tackle the middle of the week with $6 Lloyd’s cocktails on Wednesdays. Celebrate the end of the work week with $7 Lloyd’s martinis on Thursday’s or “bartender’s choice” drink special on Fridays. Wishing you a season filled with health and happiness. See you soon!