Breaking the Flavor barriers of Craft Beers…..
When looking at Lloyd’s Chicago Craft Beer list you might not know what you are about to choose. It’s extensive, the names are catchy, but most importantly will I like how it tastes. We are taking each of these crafted brews and breaking them down for your beer palate in hopes of providing you a better way to choose.
Floral: These beers have floral taste and aromas and pair well with spicy or tangy food choices.
- Half Acre GoneAway 16 oz., Chicago
Spicy: These beers can be bitter and have a spiced aroma. They pair best with spicy and tangy food options.
- Prairie Artisan Ales Bomb!, Oklahoma
Fruity: These beers can be refreshing with a range of fruity aftertastes. They pair well with all types of foods especially fish.
- Hailstorm Brewing Cumulus IPA, Tinley Park, IL
- New Belgium Fat Tire, Colorado
- Hailstorm Brewing Rock out with Mailbock out, Tinley Park, IL
Piney: These beers are also sometimes hoppy and have pine aromas. They pair well with fried foods, hard cheeses, and burgers.
- Mikkeller Wit Fit Imperial Wit, Denmark
- 3 Floyd’s Gumballhead, Indiana
Earthy: These beers are our wheat beers with other tones for fruit or hops. They pair well with seafood and steaks.
- Buckledown Octoberfest, Lyons, IL
- Revolution-Mosaic Hero, Chicago, IL
- Temperance SmittyTown ESB, Chicago
Herbal: Similar to the piney beers but more subtle. Kind of a cornucopia of fruit, earth, citrus flavors. Pairs well with fried foods.
- Pollyanna Lexical Gap IPA, Lemont, IL
- Hop Butcher for the world: Paris on the Prairie Lavender Saison, 16oz
- Half Acre Navaja Double IPA, Chicago, IL, 16 oz.
Citrus: Tangy and unfussy, Citrus beers pair well with pizza or most comfort foods.
- Half Acre Daisy Cutter, Draft, Chicago IL
- Two Brothers in the Flesh Pineapple Sour, 12 ounce can, Warrenville IL
- Howdy neighbor, Hailstorm brewing and 350 brewing collaboration beer
Strawberry Lemon Kolsch
- Two Brothers Sidekick Extra Pale Ale, Warrenville, IL
- Hailstorm Brewing Stratus Double IPA, Tinley Park,IL, 16 oz.
- Lagunitas Pils, Chicago
- Anchor Meyer Lemon Lager, California
- 3 Floyd’s Alpha King, Indiana
Malty: These beers are rich with hints of chocolate and coffee. Pairs well with a rich chocolate dessert or mole chicken.
- Bell’s Expedition Stout, Kalamazoo, MI
- Tighthead Scarlet Fire Red Ale, Mundelein, IL
- Old Town Abbey Blonde Ale, Itaska, IL
The above beers are complex and have hints of one or more of the flavor profiles in them. This is just a basic categorizing of these brews but because so much heart and soul has been poured in to their taste and aromas, you may want to try a few out of each category.
Lloyd’s Chicago’s Social Media Sweepstakes “Pair YOUR Beer”
Let us know on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram what your favorite craft beer is at Lloyd’s Chicago and what dish you pair them with from our lunch/dinner/bar food menu. We will post your recommendations on social media and you will be entered for a chance to win a $50 certificate to Lloyd’s Chicago.
Just check in on Facebook to Lloyd’s Chicago with a pic of recommendation, @lloydschicago mention on Twitter, or #lloydschicago on Instagram and you might be the October Craft Beer Winner! See you soon.